Evaporative cooling uses the same natural principle as the perspiration process in humans in order to lower body temperature. As deposited sweat on skin evaporates and becomes part of the atmosphere, it gets part of the heat energy of the body thus reducing its temperature.
The air absorbs water vapor thanks to heat. A cooling tower worksin this same way. Let’s see what happens inside:
Some of the hot water that recirculates inside the cooling tower evaporates increasing the relative humidity of the environment, at the same time a current of air, generated by the fans, circulates thus transferring part of its heat energy and getting a decrease in the water temperature .
Evaporative cooling is the most efficient cooling system in both industrial processes and the HVAC sector.
Cooling towers and evaporative condensers work also as water recovery towers, since almost all water is in permanent recirculation, with a minimum amount evaporating.
Advantages of the evaporative cooling system
- Respect for the environment♻: zero environmental impact, since the refrigerant used is water, thus avoiding the use of greenhouse refrigerants such as fluorinated gases.
- Energy efficiency. They represent a 45% energy saving compared to other air cooling systems, reaching lower water temperatures.
- Excellent investment / performance ratio compared to other cooling systems.
- Lighter and less bulky equipment than air cooling.
- Less sound impact
- Long equipment life thanks to anti-corrosion materials (fiberglass) and water maintenance treatments
Fields of application
- Industrial process refrigeration
- Industrial cooling
- Commercial refrigeration
Currently, in Europe there are more than 500,000 industrial evaporative cooling facilities