Dissipate the excess heat from industrial processes, essential in productionIn the facilities of Hero España in Alcantarilla (Murcia), which occupy 42,000 m2, a wide variety of products are elaborated, ranging from baby food to jams and marmalades. This makes the factory have different production processes. As in any industrial process, the choice of a suitable system to dissipate the heat, is a key element in the success of the installation. The constant growth of the factory and its production lines made it necessary from 1974 to apply a new system to dissipate the heat that replaced the old refrigeration systems, which, in addition, had low energy efficiency, high consumption of water and high maintenance costs. The new system had to meet the high demands of safety, environmental sustainability and energy efficiency required by the company’s own quality policy. Among the important challenges to be solved were the salinity and lack of water in the area, the high ambient temperature in summer and the factory’s growth forecast.
THE SOLUTIONIn order to face adequately the challenge of dissipating the heat, the responsibles took their decision under two lines of action. On the one hand, apply an appropriate technological solution and, on the other hand, establish and apply a specific prevention and maintenance plan. The Hero responsibles, with the advice of the Torraval technicians, decided to install a system of evaporative cooling towers with the following characteristics: • Material of the towers: GRP (polyester reinforced with fiberglass). • Type of tower: forced draft. • Filling: laminar-drip.
Why were evaporative cooling towers chosen?The reasons for choosing cooling towers instead of other technologies as refrigeration systems or air condensation systems are several and have to do with facts such as its greater energy efficiency, its lower acquisition cost, the ease of maintenance and its lower environmental impact. Hero opts for GRP towers due to the security they offer, the possibility of an easier maintenance and its durability. On the other hand, Hero installs the forced draft towers, among other reasons, for its ease of maintenance, and uses the drip and laminar fill, according to the service conditions required by the process.
- High versatility. Its ease of installation has allowed a Hero integrate 36 Torraval towers, all in perfect working order.
- Savings of up to 50% of electricity consumption.
- Maximum security. The aggressiveness of the biocides causes unwanted corrosions in metal towers. When choosing GRP, this problem disappears.
- Lower acquisition and maintenance costs.
- Environmental benefits. The evaporative cooling is an essential technology to achieve the objectives of reducing CO emissions to the atmosphere.
BENEFITS FOR THE CLIENT
- Lowest TCO * of the market.
- All Hero’s towers have been in perfect operation for 50 years.
- No incident related to biological problems in in 40 years.
- Minimum and versatile maintenance (easy and accessible).